Top Menu
CDU Students on-campus

Higher Education vs VET

HE StudyHigher Education

Higher Education is post-high school education, which includes undergraduate (Bachelor degrees) and postgraduate (Masters/ Doctorate) courses at a university.

Higher Education is traditionally theoretical-based learning, supplemented with some practical components.  

Assessments in Higher Education usually have a research element and can range anywhere from exams and essays to reports and research papers. All applications for admission to CDU Higher Education courses are received and processed through the South Australian Tertiary Admissions Centre (SATAC).

VET studyVocational Education and Training (VET)

VET covers certificate level courses from I – IV, including diplomas. They're practical courses that offer alternative ways to access education and training. Our VET courses will help you to develop a range of work skills that are in demand in the current market place.

VET courses are also a pathway to Higher Education. Once you have completed a Certificate IV or Diploma you can then use that to access Higher Education at Charles Darwin University in most undergraduate degrees.

Find out more about VET at Charles Darwin University.

CDU StudentsTertiary Enabling Program (TEP)

Charles Darwin University's Tertiary Enabling Program (TEP) gives you the opportunity to develop the skills, knowledge and confidence  needed for tertiary education.

TEP is designed for students who don' t have the usual qualifications for university entry, have not achieved an adequate Australian Tertiary Rank (ATAR), or lack the confidence to gain entry to Higher Education.

When you have completed TEP, you will meet the minimum requirements for most CDU undergraduate degrees.

If you haven't studied for a while and feel unsure about whether you can succeed, TEP may be just what you need. You must be 18 years of age to participate in TEP. You cannot be an International Student Visa Holder. Find out more about TEP.